You can pay your spouse directly. However, I would not recommend it because it is hard to keep proper documentation of proof of all of the payments if you do it that way. The best way to do it is to do it through the Department. All you have to do is going down to the Clerk of Court’s office and fill out the proper paperwork or obtain the help of an attorney and have them fill out the proper income withholding, or income deduction order, for you so the payment will be automatically drafted from your paycheck every other week or every month. It will go directly to the other party, so that way it’s properly documented and you have proof forever.